Tuesday, December 19, 2006


Buhay sa Shire II

When I came to Britain, I have to get used to a lot of things - the regional accents, the food, the British love of football and cricket ( which for the life of me, I can never understand), their obssession with the weather (why?). I have to mind my manners all the time ( please seems to be their favourite word ). It didn't take me long to adjust to the way of life. In fact, I got used to having tea ( PG tips, 1 sugar with semi skimmed milk) at 11, after lunch, at 3pm, then after dinner. We have our Sunday roast (chicken, lamb or beef, with 3 kinds of vegetables usually peas, carrots and roast potatoes) and fish and chips wrapped in paper. We go to car boot sales (jumble sale) occasionally, and shop in Tesco's every Saturday to get our groceries and ready made meals (it's very handy, especially when were short of time). Sometimes we go to the butchers, greengrocers and fishmongers if we want proper food; Britain does'nt have a "wet" market like what we have in the Philippines. Organic shops are all over the place, too, but double the price (what's the point? ). It's DIY in the spring and strawberries and cream in the summer. I get weighed in stone , pay the mortgage( and tv license, council tax, traffic congestion charge {in London, that is}), drive on the left and have the car MOTied every year.

Now let's talk about sense of humour. What would make the British laugh or should I say can a foreigner learn to enjoy their sense of humour? Believe you me, it is not easy. It may take some time but eventually, it can be learned. In fact if you ask me now, I can honestly say it's brilliant, it's in a league of it's own. Take some TV shows like Monty Phyton and Faulty Towers.. hilarious! And my personal favourite..
Little Britain. Guys, if there's a comedy show I would recommend it's this one.

If there's one thing that cause so much annoyance to me here (aside from the weather and the high cost of living), it's the terms of endearment (see pic above, from the how to be British collection). When in Britain, be prepared to be called, "dear", "love", "darling", "sweetheart", "precious", "poppet". First time I was called love by a stranger, I felt like yelling, "don't call me love coz I'm not your love!" Sometimes it can be really patronizing. Of course, polite and well behaved as I am, I didn't; the best response to such familiarity is a pleasant smile :). Oh well, nevermind.
Ok, I think I'm gonna stop there for now. My two fingers are getting tired. And my old man, the hubby, the Irishman, is telling me off again for using this PC overtime, grrr. Ok, tara, love. :).