Thursday, December 14, 2006

My (Unusual) Job

At the moment, the hubby is off work. He's contractual job as an animator for kids TV expired (not for long I hope).To be honest, we can't afford not to work (thank goodness we've got some savings), so I decided to get out and find myself a job , give myself a break from looking after the kids and experience how it is, once again to work with other people. I'm not a skilled worker or anything flash; I'm just an ordinary manual worker, who wants a job, fast. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait long to get one.

I saw this job from the jobcentre, off the Internet; pie maker. I thought, that's one job I can do. So I called, got an interview, and started work the next day . It's not the most exciting job in the world, it's a dead end job if you like to call it that, but it keeps our head above water; ie., pays some bills and a little bit of extra for my Christmas presents (they're lucky this year, I tell you). I have been working there for about 2 1/2 months now, and what kept me motivated everyday is the people I work with. It's ironic though that I work in this country, but not work with English people. Mind you, there's only 5 of us there. My boss is from South Africa, the chef is Indian, chef's assistant is Indian, too, and my co- pie worker is Polish. I have to say that they are one honest to goodness hard working people I had an opportunity to work with. But sadly, my love affair with pies didn't last long. Yes , I decided I had enough of making pies (in fact if you serve me a pie at this moment, I'll throw it back at you). I stop a week from now. I am not gonna miss the job, but I'm gonna miss the people, especially Miss M, the crazy Polish girl who is the most curious person I know. She asks about everything, and she's always saying "of course" as if her life depended on it. Kidding aside, she's lovely to work with and she made me feel young, blabbering endlessly about her sex life.. it takes me back ... no, I'm not gonna go there.

So, where are we? Yes, I'm not working there anymore because I don't want to ruin my relationship with pies, forever. It's not that we make rubbish pies (apple pie, beef & guinness, etc, etc), it's just that it's sickening to make pies 6 hours a day! I never imagined that making pies that long can be a traumatizing experience. And, of course, Christmas is coming, there's still a lot of pies to eat, not to mention mince pie. It's not really my cuppa tea, but sooner or later I have to have one. Just a one. I'll get over this, hatred of pie, I mean . One day I'll make the most delicious pie again, without hatred added in it.

So what's the moral lesson in this post?
"You can't have your cake and eat it, too". That applies to pies as well.

I wonder what's my next job gonna be. Keep you posted.